Friday, May 26, 2006

"Home for the Holidays" by Debbie Macomber (Mira, 2005)

My secret is out: I read junk fiction, especially mysteries. Maybe because I read heavier stuff all day for a living, I need some escapist literature on my off time. My Aunt Sherry gave me Home for the Holidays last Christmas and since it's a mass-market size paperback, I brought it along for some airplane reading on the way to France.

I know Debbie Macomber, because she is the author of a series of books about a yarn shop, including A Good Yarn (which I read last year) and The Shop on Blossom Street (which I haven't read yet).

Home for the Holidays has no craft connection, unfortunately, because without that, it's just another sappy romance. Actually, it's two romances: "The Forgetful Bride" and "When Christmas Comes"--and they have similar themes of women who thought they'd never find love finding it in surprising places and during Christmas. Of course, everyone lives happily ever after. The best I can say about this book is that it did help pass the time on a trans-Atlantic flight. It goes to show that those silly content connections--whether it's knitting, recipes, or even garage sale hunting (see Sharon Fiffer's "Stuff" series)--can help boost an otherwise boring book. Or maybe I can only tolerate junk fiction when there's a mystery plot. I've never been much of a romance reader.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home